Monday, May 22, 2006

On Having No War
"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake." - Jeanette Rankin

A truly thoughtful and excellent article on the art of making a stronger anti-war movement.

Here are some statements I agree with:

"The anti-war movement lacks organization. There is no central leadership, or mechanism to effectively muster and control resources."

"The anti-war movement needs to develop a centralized intelligence operation, not a spy organization, but rather a think-tank that produces sound analysis based upon fact that can be used to empower those who are waging the struggle against war."

"It needs to grasp the pro-war movement's decision-making cycle, then undertake a comprehensive course of action that learns to pre-empt this cycle, getting 'inside' the pro-war system of making decisions, and thereby forcing the pro-war movement to react to the anti-war agenda, instead of vice versa."

**

I spent the weekend celebrating Bob Creeley's birthday. (More on this soon.) I think of my many friends, especially my company of poets and artists, and I cherish you all.