Tuesday, May 24, 2005

"It's so deep, it's so wide / Your inside / Synchronicity"

This evening I biked (for the first time in two weeks) over to Romanello's Roseland to meet Joe T. for a glass of wine and some fried ravioli. We don't see each other as much when we are not organizing hugely sucessful poetry marathons or writing songs together. Usually the place is empty, there's some Sinatra playing, and that's about it.

I'd been there a minute maybe when I realized I knew almost every person in the room . It was the City Honors Women's Faculty Happy Hour--teachers who'd taught me, who I'd taught with....and it was Irene McVay's retirement. (See page 2.) She is the last of the people I knew, and who has known me for 20 years. Amazing coincidence...synchronicity. A gift.

All day the sky flaunted dramatic dark clouds, then long moments of bright sunlight.

I'm in love with my town, these days. Again.