Monday, December 08, 2008

Herbs on Sunday

I made an Etsy shop, where you can purchase my book, Letter, or my many herbal tinctures and oils. Thanks for looking.

***

The very cold, dry air made my lungs ache today--I must say, I often feel the ghost of the bronchitis I had last winter. I self-tested and then took a few (less than 3) drops each of elecampane tincture and New England aster tincture. The distress eased; I was inclined to take a few deep breaths.

All day since, my lungs have felt the need to expand--like muscles which long to be stretched. I'm doing as much deep breathing as I can, to satisfy them. It's an odd, but not unpleasant, feeling.

After getting off work at midnight, I made myself an herbal foot bath. It featured salt, chamomile flowers (which I grew myself), lavender oil. Perhaps best of all, I rubbed my warm and rested feet with ginger oil (which I made myself). Feels terribly nice, especially on this brittle cold day (-4 F windchill as I came home tonight).

***

Thinking a lot about making things. I have been cooking a lot, but I miss gathering and working with plants. I feel drawn to sewing, as I often do in winter. Is it time to get a machine, take a class? Perhaps.

Remembering my childhood dollhouse and all the ways it inspired me to create: making clothes, furniture, other things for it, and years of writing novels about the characters, years before I heard the word fanfiction.