Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I grew the oregano myself.

Crusty Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Onions, Baked with Olive Oil and Garlic (from Jeanne Lemlin)

This gets caramelized and so good. Great cold in a tortilla with salad dressing, too. Zamfir thinks cheese should be added. Feel free! Serves 4.

6 medium (2 lbs) potatoes, peeled, halved, very thinly sliced
3 large onions, halved vertically and very thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes, drained & chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup fruity olive oil
3 Tbs water
2 tsp dried oregano
S&P

Pre-heat oven to 400 F. In a large bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. In a small bowl, beat together the tomato paste, olive oil, water, oregano, salt & pepper. Pour over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat well. Spread the mixture in a 12 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish or other 2 1/2-quart ovenproof shallow dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake
30 minutes. Remove the foil (carefully!) and bake 45 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are tender.


***

I grew the oregano myself. I will grow more next year.

Herb Patch, July 2008Indoor garden

I really yearn for a garden which is permanent, which is mine, where I can have a perrennial herb patch. And maybe grow some asparagus.

It was truly wintry here today and I am full of green dreams.