Friday, May 02, 2003

More from my heroine, Patti Smith.

She did indeed play The Sphere for 3 hours and 3 minutes last Saturday night. I was belly-to-the-stage for all of it, grabbing her ankle when she went by (because she wrote about doing that to Brian Jones when she saw the Rolling Stones) and giving my love & adoration to Lenny Kaye (yes, I heard those riffs from "Poppies" in "Not Fade Away") and enjoying the occasional spray of spit or water from the golden throat of the poet. No, I'm not kidding.

It was ecstasy.

Since last week, I have been dancing wildly, often, and have been happier than in months and have felt free, felt proud, felt accomplishment, felt loneliness & grief, sadness & longing but I know my life is my own & I do love it. I'm very lucky. I love my town, the town Patti said to cherish. She understood the energy, immediately.

And Lenny gave me his golden guitar pick. Thank you, Lenny. I also got a splintered drumstick, which I'll use to continue to draw power to my town, with which we can change the world for the better.