Thursday, October 24, 2002

Hallelujiah! Jubilee!

I really appreciate Alex Massie's take on life after thirty. Also it is reassuring to realize that my sense of caring less about certain things is not freakish by-product of a rough year. (Not this year, the last one, which is why I was starting to be alarmed by it.) It's not that I feel good about caring less. But the girl I was at 15 couldn't live in the world she saw. It's the same world now, folks, and worse in many ways I could not envision even in my lurid adolescent despair, but I do live in it and my life is often very excellent. Hallelujiah! Jubilee! It is extremely heartening to realize it is not simply circumstance or attitude which makes happiness.

I also gain strength from an adage I keep bumping into: Adversity does not build character. It reveals it.