Sunday, October 29, 2006

Help the library, please

Buffalo Libraries are campaigning for restoration of their budget, decimated by the crisis a fewyears ago. Please help by writing a letter or email to your representatives.

The BECPL page gives a rundown of the situation. Here's how to contact your legislator.

Here's my simple letter (feel free to use my text; the library page also has sample text to borrow):

I'm writing to ask that you restore full funding to the Buffalo and Erie County Library system in the 2007 budget. I write both as a librarian and as a citizen concerned about literacy and simple access to information in our city. Library services are vital. I'm sure you know how difficult the library situation has been since the Red Budget crisis; I ask that you do what you can to rectify the situation on your watch.