Sunday, October 29, 2006

Post-Storm

The storm really took its psychic toll on me, as for many of us, I'm sure. This week I've been getting out again, like seeing Petra Haden and her acapella group The Sell Outs, perform some of The Who Sell Out as well as Bach.


I also spent a day with friends at Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, looking at all the cute and useless stuff and buying none.



This afternoon I went to a reading of Olga Karman's Scatter My Ashes Over Havana. I've known Olga since I was 12, mostly as a poet. Her work of prose is an amazing thing, vivid and moving and often very sad, describing her leaving Havana, Cuba, at age 20, losing all contact with her family and friends, and returning 37 years later to find a very different place. (Ginger, if you think you might be interested, I'll share my copy with you.)

Coming Up:
The Possums at Nietzsche's, happy hour, Friday November 3.
Joe Rozler and Mary Ramsey at Classics on Elmwood, UU Church, Friday, November 10. A rare and special event, indeed.
My cousin, Ken Schlimgen, in a production of Gilbert & Sullivan's Patience, at Theatreloft, also that second weekend of November.